Thursday, December 6, 2007

Realistic != Difficult

Earlier today I was playing Tabula Rasa. I was a in a group with someone, and with the great built in voice chat system we could talk about dumb crap more. I mentioned off-hand that the terrain in TR annoyed the shit out of me. Lots of ridges and insane canyons making it impossible to ever get anywhere in anything that looks like a straight line.

"But then it wouldn't be very realistic"

This is what he said and I imagine what others say. This shit is pissing me off. Chances are what ever game your playing is NOT a simulation program. Chances are also that the game has some fantastical system in it, like magic or ridiculously advanced or not even possible technology, then I have to hear these fucking morons drone on about "realism"

You know what would be realistic in TR? where the game is based on a giant war between 2 races trying to basically wipe each other out? It would be realistic that EVERY PLANET YOU FIGHT ON WOULD BE COMPLETELY SCORCHED AND LOOK NOTHING LIKE IT DID BEFORE A WAR! EVERYTHING FUCKING DEAD! But instead theres perfectly intact forests and caves. Then theres control points which can switch between who occupies it, though for me it just solidifies the concept that somehow other bases can't EVER be switched over to the other side, apparently by magic, oh sorry i mean "logos."

So EX-CUSE ME if I want my character to be able to traverse land in any kind of vertical fashion. A rope, some fucking ladders, hell a guy who doesn't jump like hes half retarded, thats all I ask. Of course if they wanted to be realistic, with all the bases built into mountains you think they could just knock over a few hills from the sky or orbit on paths that need to be frequently traveled.

"Ok lets just slap a small town/base into this volcano."
"Damn we can't go over there, theres a ridge 10 feet tall thats at a very steep incline, guess we have to go all the way around."

No comments: