Thursday, November 29, 2007

Polish This

I have come to realize I often am unimpressed or flat out hate a lot of games the mainstream likes. Its extremely disturbing especially since I don't hate them out of some kind of rebellion not to conform or some dumb shit. Far as I can these reasons are why I do hate them. I'll try and use BioShock as an example.

Polish: This has to be the biggest reason. I don't hate games with polish its that other people seem to cum all over the place when a game does have polish. A game that is "just fine in every way", kind of like a mediocre video game version of Mary Poppins. Look at BioShock, in every review "awesome gameplay" was never a chief reason why the game was good, how it got anywhere near a score of 10/10 or 5/5 without gameplay being the only thing they rave about is beyond me. It had all the elements of a shooter and worked just fine, shot it up to at least 8/10. Whooptie shit.

Meanwhile if a game is just fine but tries to use a different hook or angle, it gets its balls cut off because its not the way the reviewer would have done it or they saw some other game do something half way like it and just call it a rip off.

Sound: This is kind of exclusive to BioShock but apparently if you play the greatest hits from the 50's and 40's all the time and make it sound like its going through a PA system you have the best music ever in a video game. Again this would be about 1/3 of all reviews I read. Personally the only time sound and/or music would have a impact on a review for me is if it was extremely shitty or if it was a music based game and the music was average at best. Otherwise I don't give a shit.

Reviewers in general seem to be assholes or morons. I'm convinced the bulk of them are writers playing video games instead of what it should be, hardcore gamers writing reviews. You can almost always find a review of any game and find one that looks like the reviewer is pissed that it has to review games and is set off by the slightest problems or bad learning curve. This is probably why they score games with polish so high, anything that makes their review job easier becomes god. Its like getting half day off work or having a meeting in a vacation spot. A suddenly ordinary thing becomes great because it makes the overall experience easier opposed to the task at hand being great itself.

No comments: