Saturday, May 10, 2008

Facetious - the new cop out

fa·ce·tious
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.


I've been seeing this word used way too much lately. Bascially a new form of 'joking around' but removes the requirement that it had to be funny in the first place. So anytime you say something stupid/wrong/not funny and someone responds to it, the guy can act like your the asshole. "uhh duh I was being facetious." So I've started telling people off who use this word, then I throw it back in their face. "Hey fuck you and I really wish you died in 9/11" "hey man thats not cool" "haha dumbass I was being facetious, lol what a moron."

The problem is the concept has no 'tell' ,like being sarcastic or telling a joke. Being facetious and being serious literally have no difference in the way their being told. Two people could tell you they own a red car the exact same way, and one could be 'facetious' while the other is serious. I guess it could also be a form of getting away with lying too. "hey you said you would pay me back that money today, thats why I paid for dinner." "duh I was being facetious."

So I am going to kill everyone that is facetious, and if your gonna call the cops because I said that, I was being facetious.

No comments: